Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Asher played catcher....

Mimi, don't read this....just look at the pictures! I used colorful language that will make you blush!

In last night's game, the catcher got hit with a ball and had to come out of the game. Asher quickly volunteered to sub in. The coaches were trying to get the back up catcher to go in, but he wouldn't....he was afraid of getting hit. I can't tell you how proud I am that Asher wanted to give it a try. At the beginning of the season he got hit with a ball and has been a little timid ever since. Every game he gets a little more courage, but this totally blew me away that he was brave enough to be catcher, especially after seeing his teammate get hit. So, as they were giving him the gear and getting him suited up, the coach handed him the cup. Asher said, "Oh, thanks, I need this for my knee." The coach laughed and said, "No, it's for your tool." Asher was pretty confused, especially when they started trying to help him put it in the proper place. I don't think he has ever heard that particular terminology. Fortunately I rounded the corner into the dugout about that time. So we finished getting him all padded and protected and I was quickly giving him pointers about catching, like don't stand up when they are swinging, stay squatted down, keep your glove up, don't get hit by the batter...as if I have a clue about catching...but from a mother's perspective they seemed like good ideas. So since it was his first time EVER to catch they threw a few practice balls to him. The VERY FIRST ONE came whizzing out of the machine before he was even properly positioned, bonked him right on the head, bowled him over backwards, rolled him on the ground. YIKES he wasn't even ready. I was so proud that he hopped right up, laughed and got into position for the nest pitch. FEARLESS!!! He did a really good job. I asked him if he wanted to catch again next game, he said no. I was surprised and questioned him because he seemed to enjoy it so much. He informed me that the catching was fun, but he DID NOT like that cup! Later at home when he was saying the prayer at dinner, he thanked God for the awesome day he had, and for giving him the courage to try out being catcher. I love watching my children "grow", overcome, and lean on the Lord!




2 comments:

SanDee said...

Great job Asher! That is awesome. He is such a special boy. Hunter loves looking at the pictures of him. Oh gosh and he got his treasures from Asher in the mail yesterday and loved it. He got so excited to have mail from you all.

One Crazy Chick! said...

Keva,

Your Pictures are OUTSTANDING!

Your boys, though annoyed now, we really love having such wonderful pictures from their childhood. I was I was that talented!